Free winter activities return to Eclipse Lagoon
Conditions are perfect for going ice skating or playing hockey outdoors at the newly-remodeled Eclipse Lagoon in Sinnissippi Gardens on the campus of Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, 1354 N. Second St., Rockford.
The community is welcome to enjoy open ice skating or open hockey at Eclipse Lagoon daily from 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., weather permitting and when conditions are safe.
The ice needs to be at least 4 to 5 inches thick for the Eclipse Lagoon to open.
Rockford Park District staff will check the thickness of the ice daily, and signs alerting residents of the conditions will be posted on site.
Updates about Eclipse Lagoon skating conditions will be available by calling (815) 987-8858 or visiting www.rockfordparkdistrict.org. Updates will also be posted at Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens — Rockford Park District on Facebook.
Following are some quick facts about Eclipse Lagoon winter activities:
• Hockey is available at the north end of the lagoon only. Goals are provided and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Heated restrooms are available at the outdoor pavilion.
• Bring your own skates; no rentals on site.
• Ice skating and hockey at the lagoon is free.
• Feb. 5, 2009, is the last time anyone went ice skating or played hockey at the lagoon
For more about Eclipse Lagoon skating conditions, call (815) 987-8858.
From the Jan. 9-15, 2013, issue
Print This Article