- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
- Something is rotten in the state of US education
RVC nominates two for academic team
Rock Valley College (RVC) has nominated two students for the All-USA Community College Academic Team.
The All-USA Community College Academic Team is presented by USA Today and Phi Theta Kappa and sponsored by Follett Higher Education Group. Twenty students will be selected to the national team, each receiving a $2,500 scholarship and medallion. These students will be featured in the USA Today newspaper and presented at Phi Theta Kappa’s Presidents Breakfast held during the Annual Convention of the American Association of Community Colleges Convention (AACC) April 22 in San Francisco.
The two RVC students nominated for consideration this year are Paulina Luna and Julia Moore.
Luna lives in Rockford and is a biology major whose career goal is to be a pediatrician. She has a 4.0 GPA, is an Honors Program participant, and is the vice president of leadership within the Omicron Eta chapter of Phi Theta Kappa.
Moore is a dual credit student at RVC and lives in Roscoe, Ill. She has a 4.0 GPA and is a digital media major who’s interested in a career in film production and communications. Her documentary film on a faith-based addictions recovery program won “Best Regional Documentary” at the Mosaic Film Festival. She also won a writing award at RVC.
The two students will find out in April whether they have been selected to the All-USA Community College Academic Team.
In 2011, RVC student Stacey Slintak was selected as one of the 20 students for the All-USA Community College Academic Team. Slintak was the first RVC student to ever achieve this prestigious honor.
From the Jan. 9-15, 2013, issue