- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
Celebrate the New Year with 10 free flowering trees
Online Staff Report
Residents of Illinois can ring in the New Year with 10 free flowering trees by joining the Arbor Day Foundation during January 2013.
By becoming a part of the nonprofit Arbor Day Foundation, new members will receive two white flowering dogwoods, two flowering crabapples, two Washington hawthorns, two American redbuds and two goldenraintrees.
“These beautiful trees will give your home in Illinois lovely flowers with pink, yellow and white colors,” said John Rosenow, founder and chief executive of the Arbor Day Foundation. “These trees are perfect for large and small spaces, and they will provide food and habitat for songbirds.”
The tree trees are part of the Foundation’s Trees for America campaign.
The trees will be shipped postpaid at the right time for planting, between Feb. 1 and May 31, with enclosed planting instructions. The 6- to 12-inch-tall trees are guaranteed to grow, or they will be replaced free of charge.
Members will also receive a subscription to the Foundation’s bimonthly publication, Arbor Day, and The Tree Book, which includes information about tree planting and care.
To become a member of the Foundation and to receive the free trees, send a $10 contribution to Ten Free Flowering Trees, Arbor Day Foundation, 100 Arbor Avenue, Nebraska City, NE 68410, ;by Jan. 31, 2013. Illinois residents can also join online at arborday.org/january.
Posted Jan. 16, 2013