- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Rockford-area Catholic women honored for service
Sunday, Jan. 27, the Rockford Deanery Council of Catholic Women will hold its 21st Annual Woman of the Year Banquet at Cliffbreakers Restaurant in Rockford. This dinner honors women who have been selected by their parishes for outstanding long-term service.
Eighteen women from the Rockford Deanery will be honored this year. They are as follow: St. James, Belvidere: Carmen Ocon; St. Mary, Byron: Teresa Richter; St. Mary/St. Patrick, Durand/Irish Grove: Sheila Janisch; St. Bridget, Loves Park: Margaret Malachowski; St. Mary, Pecatonica: Sharon Henderson; Holy Family, Rockford: Patrice Vecchio; St. Anthony of Padua, Rockford: Angelene “Angie” Germano; St. Bernadette, Rockford: Marianne Musso; St. Edward, Rockford: Louise Canciamille; St. James, Rockford: Angelina “Angie” Cash; St. Mary’s Oratory, Rockford: Susan Paulsen; St. Patrick, Rockford: Yolanda Maldonado; Cathedral of St. Peter, Rockford: Barbara Lundin; SS Peter and Paul, Rockford: Lidia Garcia; St. Rita, Rockford: Brenda Battista; St. Stanislaus Kostka, Rockford: Grace Sapron; Church of the Holy Spirit, Roscoe: Toni Cermak; and St. Peter, South Beloit: Diane Belcher.
A social hour will begin at 4:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 5:30 p.m. The public is invited to attend. Cost of the meal is $35 per person. Dinner choices are: Broiled Orange Roughy and Petite Filet Mignon or Vegetarian Lasagna. The children’s selection is Chicken Fingers and Fries for $15 per child (ages 4-10). Reservations can be made at each parish or by calling Angie Kelly at (815) 964-4284 by Jan. 16. Dinner guests will be seated by parish; no later reservations will be taken.
From the Jan. 16-22, 2013, issue