- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
Rockford-area Catholic women honored for service
Sunday, Jan. 27, the Rockford Deanery Council of Catholic Women will hold its 21st Annual Woman of the Year Banquet at Cliffbreakers Restaurant in Rockford. This dinner honors women who have been selected by their parishes for outstanding long-term service.
Eighteen women from the Rockford Deanery will be honored this year. They are as follow: St. James, Belvidere: Carmen Ocon; St. Mary, Byron: Teresa Richter; St. Mary/St. Patrick, Durand/Irish Grove: Sheila Janisch; St. Bridget, Loves Park: Margaret Malachowski; St. Mary, Pecatonica: Sharon Henderson; Holy Family, Rockford: Patrice Vecchio; St. Anthony of Padua, Rockford: Angelene “Angie” Germano; St. Bernadette, Rockford: Marianne Musso; St. Edward, Rockford: Louise Canciamille; St. James, Rockford: Angelina “Angie” Cash; St. Mary’s Oratory, Rockford: Susan Paulsen; St. Patrick, Rockford: Yolanda Maldonado; Cathedral of St. Peter, Rockford: Barbara Lundin; SS Peter and Paul, Rockford: Lidia Garcia; St. Rita, Rockford: Brenda Battista; St. Stanislaus Kostka, Rockford: Grace Sapron; Church of the Holy Spirit, Roscoe: Toni Cermak; and St. Peter, South Beloit: Diane Belcher.
A social hour will begin at 4:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 5:30 p.m. The public is invited to attend. Cost of the meal is $35 per person. Dinner choices are: Broiled Orange Roughy and Petite Filet Mignon or Vegetarian Lasagna. The children’s selection is Chicken Fingers and Fries for $15 per child (ages 4-10). Reservations can be made at each parish or by calling Angie Kelly at (815) 964-4284 by Jan. 16. Dinner guests will be seated by parish; no later reservations will be taken.
From the Jan. 16-22, 2013, issue