- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Rockford-area Catholic women honored for service
Sunday, Jan. 27, the Rockford Deanery Council of Catholic Women will hold its 21st Annual Woman of the Year Banquet at Cliffbreakers Restaurant in Rockford. This dinner honors women who have been selected by their parishes for outstanding long-term service.
Eighteen women from the Rockford Deanery will be honored this year. They are as follow: St. James, Belvidere: Carmen Ocon; St. Mary, Byron: Teresa Richter; St. Mary/St. Patrick, Durand/Irish Grove: Sheila Janisch; St. Bridget, Loves Park: Margaret Malachowski; St. Mary, Pecatonica: Sharon Henderson; Holy Family, Rockford: Patrice Vecchio; St. Anthony of Padua, Rockford: Angelene “Angie” Germano; St. Bernadette, Rockford: Marianne Musso; St. Edward, Rockford: Louise Canciamille; St. James, Rockford: Angelina “Angie” Cash; St. Mary’s Oratory, Rockford: Susan Paulsen; St. Patrick, Rockford: Yolanda Maldonado; Cathedral of St. Peter, Rockford: Barbara Lundin; SS Peter and Paul, Rockford: Lidia Garcia; St. Rita, Rockford: Brenda Battista; St. Stanislaus Kostka, Rockford: Grace Sapron; Church of the Holy Spirit, Roscoe: Toni Cermak; and St. Peter, South Beloit: Diane Belcher.
A social hour will begin at 4:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 5:30 p.m. The public is invited to attend. Cost of the meal is $35 per person. Dinner choices are: Broiled Orange Roughy and Petite Filet Mignon or Vegetarian Lasagna. The children’s selection is Chicken Fingers and Fries for $15 per child (ages 4-10). Reservations can be made at each parish or by calling Angie Kelly at (815) 964-4284 by Jan. 16. Dinner guests will be seated by parish; no later reservations will be taken.
From the Jan. 16-22, 2013, issue