- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
SwedishAmerican welcomes neurosurgeon
SwedishAmerican welcomes a new neurosurgeon, Melissa Y. Macias, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Macias completed both medical school and a neurosurgery residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. She also earned a Ph.D. in cellular biology and anatomy, participating in two Space Shuttle missions as a NASA Payload Specialist with Kennedy Space Center during her Ph.D. research.
Dr. Macias specializes in minimally-invasive/minimally-destructive surgery for complex and degenerative spine disease, as well as infectious and tumor pathologies, and serves as Surgeon Proctor for NuVasive, Inc., and Aesculap USA. She offers a full scope of general neurosurgery including cranial trauma, tumor and infection, and has a special interest in spinal cord injury. Dr. Macias is a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the Congress of Spine Surgeons and the North American Spine Surgeons.
Dr. Macias is accepting referrals at the SwedishAmerican Neuro & Headache Center. For more information, call (815) 489-9512.
From the Jan. 16-22, 2013, issue