- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
SwedishAmerican welcomes neurosurgeon
SwedishAmerican welcomes a new neurosurgeon, Melissa Y. Macias, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Macias completed both medical school and a neurosurgery residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. She also earned a Ph.D. in cellular biology and anatomy, participating in two Space Shuttle missions as a NASA Payload Specialist with Kennedy Space Center during her Ph.D. research.
Dr. Macias specializes in minimally-invasive/minimally-destructive surgery for complex and degenerative spine disease, as well as infectious and tumor pathologies, and serves as Surgeon Proctor for NuVasive, Inc., and Aesculap USA. She offers a full scope of general neurosurgery including cranial trauma, tumor and infection, and has a special interest in spinal cord injury. Dr. Macias is a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the Congress of Spine Surgeons and the North American Spine Surgeons.
Dr. Macias is accepting referrals at the SwedishAmerican Neuro & Headache Center. For more information, call (815) 489-9512.
From the Jan. 16-22, 2013, issue