- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
SwedishAmerican welcomes neurosurgeon
SwedishAmerican welcomes a new neurosurgeon, Melissa Y. Macias, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Macias completed both medical school and a neurosurgery residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. She also earned a Ph.D. in cellular biology and anatomy, participating in two Space Shuttle missions as a NASA Payload Specialist with Kennedy Space Center during her Ph.D. research.
Dr. Macias specializes in minimally-invasive/minimally-destructive surgery for complex and degenerative spine disease, as well as infectious and tumor pathologies, and serves as Surgeon Proctor for NuVasive, Inc., and Aesculap USA. She offers a full scope of general neurosurgery including cranial trauma, tumor and infection, and has a special interest in spinal cord injury. Dr. Macias is a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the Congress of Spine Surgeons and the North American Spine Surgeons.
Dr. Macias is accepting referrals at the SwedishAmerican Neuro & Headache Center. For more information, call (815) 489-9512.
From the Jan. 16-22, 2013, issue