- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Area gymnasts fare well in Grayslake competition
ROSCOE, Ill. — Roscoe’s Kids Spot gymnastics team recently traveled to Grayslake, Ill., to compete in the USA Gymnastic Island Adventure Competition.
In the 9-year-old Level 5 age group, Madison Johnstone of Roscoe, Ill., got first on uneven bars with a 9.2, fourth place on beam and fourth place overall.
In the 10-year-old age group, Carly Houck of Beloit, Wis., placed third on uneven bars.
In the 11-year-old age group, Jada Cooper of Loves Park, Ill., placed first overall on balance beam with a 9.2, and fourth on floor.
In the 12-year-old age group, Kylie Beeler of South Beloit, Ill., placed second on bars and third on floor, making her fouth overall.
Competing in Level 6, 13-year-old Olivia Cimino of Roscoe, Ill., won first place on uneven bars and vault, third place on floor, which helped her to a first-place finish overall.
In Level 7, Kealiyah Grigsby of Rockford placed first on uneven bars (8.775), second on vault (9.4), second on balance
beam(9.0) and third place overall. Abbey Green of Machesney Park, Ill., placed second on floor (9.25), second on balance beam (9.0) and fourth overall in the same age division.
Kids Spot Gymnastics is coached by Ginelle Galub and Andrea Boone.
“I couldn’t ask for a better way to kick off the season,” Galub said.
“It is nice to see all the hard work we put in weekly at the gym pays off for the athletes,” Boone added.
For more about Kids Spot, call (815) 623-5437 or visit the gym at 9461 N. Second St., Roscoe, Ill.
From the Jan. 23-29, 2013, issue