- Phishing scam targets I-PASS users
- 3rd Street bridge structurally deficient, to be closed March 19
- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
Hawaiian fun offered at Discovery Center Jan. 27
Online Staff Report
Button up your luau shirt and come in out of the cold as Rockford’s Discovery Center transforms into paradise, Hawaiian style, from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 27.
Take in the flora, fauna, geography, music, culture and cuisine of these paradise islands. Make your own leia, learn to speak the lingo, romp in a simulated lava pit and witness a volcanic eruption. Snorkel through the museum, get your hands on real volcanic rocks, and start a shell collection. Enjoy art and craft activities with an island flare, and sample the regional cuisine. Take a half-day vacation without leaving town!
Cost of the event is included with admission to Discovery Center — $8 for adults, $8 for children ages 2-17 and free to children age 1 and younger as well as to members of Discovery Center Museum.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org for more details.
Posted Jan. 23, 2013