- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Hawaiian fun offered at Discovery Center Jan. 27
Online Staff Report
Button up your luau shirt and come in out of the cold as Rockford’s Discovery Center transforms into paradise, Hawaiian style, from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 27.
Take in the flora, fauna, geography, music, culture and cuisine of these paradise islands. Make your own leia, learn to speak the lingo, romp in a simulated lava pit and witness a volcanic eruption. Snorkel through the museum, get your hands on real volcanic rocks, and start a shell collection. Enjoy art and craft activities with an island flare, and sample the regional cuisine. Take a half-day vacation without leaving town!
Cost of the event is included with admission to Discovery Center — $8 for adults, $8 for children ages 2-17 and free to children age 1 and younger as well as to members of Discovery Center Museum.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org for more details.
Posted Jan. 23, 2013