- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Hawaiian fun offered at Discovery Center Jan. 27
Online Staff Report
Button up your luau shirt and come in out of the cold as Rockford’s Discovery Center transforms into paradise, Hawaiian style, from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 27.
Take in the flora, fauna, geography, music, culture and cuisine of these paradise islands. Make your own leia, learn to speak the lingo, romp in a simulated lava pit and witness a volcanic eruption. Snorkel through the museum, get your hands on real volcanic rocks, and start a shell collection. Enjoy art and craft activities with an island flare, and sample the regional cuisine. Take a half-day vacation without leaving town!
Cost of the event is included with admission to Discovery Center — $8 for adults, $8 for children ages 2-17 and free to children age 1 and younger as well as to members of Discovery Center Museum.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org for more details.
Posted Jan. 23, 2013