Breaking News

A 45-year career ends

January 30, 2013

By JoAnn Leggero Jenkins
Rockford resident

It is with great pride and much sadness that I am announcing after 45 years with the United States Postal Service, I will be retiring effective Jan. 31, 2013. I have been very fortunate to have had a career that I am able to say I very much have enjoyed and found pleasure in serving my many customers. I chose to publicly make this announcement as I feel it is a way to inform all of you.

You have all been a large part of my life and have been my extended family. I would like to thank all of you very much for this opportunity. I will deeply miss all of you as you all hold a special place in my heart. To many of you who have lost loved ones along the way, I hope God has helped you find peace. To those of you who have serious illnesses, I will continue to pray for you every day as I have since the day you chose to confide in me.

I wish all of you and many others a blessed future. I hope all of you will keep in touch one way or another. Feel free to contact me if you ever feel the need; I will always be there for you as I have in the past. I intend on taking a short vacation; then I will be working hard to help my son, Brian Jenkins Leggero, achieve his aspiration of being elected Alderman of the 1st Ward of Rockford in the Republican Primary Feb. 26, 2013. I know in my heart that my son Brian will work as hard for the people of the 1st Ward and the City of Rockford as I have for all of you.

I would like to thank Mr. Frank Schier and everyone at The Rock River Times for giving me this opportunity to reach out to all of you. Now in closing, I will use the name given to me by my supervisors and co-workers when I sought employment just for the Christmas holiday 45 years ago, and the rest is history.

J J

From the Jan. 30-Feb. 5, 2013, issue

1. John Leggero

January 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

Congrats Aunt JoAnn on your retirement from a long and fulfilling career …. I’d be willing to bet that you can count the sick days you took in your 45 years on one hand ….. God Bless you and enjoy your well deserved retirement…

2. Colleen Lemek

January 30, 2013 at 12:47 pm

JoAnn, you have always been an inspiration. Always a smile and a kind word for everyone. You will be greatly missed. Best wishes for your retirement.

3. oldfolkie

January 30, 2013 at 4:22 pm

You’re gonna love retirement. I left after 35 years and haven’t regretted it once. I loved those years with the Postal Service (in spite of all my incessant bitching). The job, the workers, and even the managers meant a lot to me. But now? I’m loving retirement even more.
    Enjoy!

4. Diana LiCausi

January 30, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Aunt JoAnn
    What a great letter! Congratulations on your retirement. You have worked very hard and deserve to take it easy now! Wishing you all the best in your retirement!
    Love you,
    Diana

5. Kathy Keegan

January 30, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Aunt Joann, Congratulations! You deserve a great big applause!!!! Now it’s time to sit back relax and enjoy the rest of your life. Great Job done!! Love you. Kathy

6. Kenneth Reed, Sr

February 9, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I am a Disabled Vietnam Veteran. Our government has many programs for Veterans. I recieve free medical and mental health check-ups. One thing the US has not helped us older Veterans with is keeping our homes in good repair so we won’t need to move into a ” care facility “. I have tried for the last 4 years to find help with my much needed repairs. No luck…….Just saying.

7. Kenneth Reed, Sr.

February 13, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Well, the State of the Union speech is over. ! I do not listen so much in what is said as I do in watching the faces of the others who are there. Those who watched, did you see the face of John Boehner ? Total hatred…disgust. Our politians act like little children. They better start playing nice. I just wonder if they had to live like the rest of us in the lower class if their attitudes would change. Let them try to make it on the lowest amount of money that ” we the people ” do. I do not think that our fore fathers meant for them to have a pernment job or that they should make so much money.

8. Kenneth Reed

February 20, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I just saw a headline on the net that John Boehner is saying that President Obama has failed in his leadership ! Well, John, All of you have failed ! You are not ” doing whats best for our Country “… you are doing what you think is best for your Party, so are the Democrats. All of you need to start working together to get this Country back or get out and let someone that WILL. We are in this together. In case you haven’t noticed, there are an awful lot of people who aren’t working. There are lot of folks who have had their hours cut because of Obama Care. All of you have very comfortable jobs, you make good money, have great benefits, ect. What you all forget, Republicans and Democrats alike, listen, this important….you all work for us, ” we the people “..I think the majority of us are ready to fire the lot of you.