- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
Local surgeon published in Sports Health journal
Scott W. Trenhaile, M.D., of Rockford Orthopedic Associates, Ltd., and two other regional specialists were recently published in Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach for their case study of an unusual shoulder injury in an adolescent American football player.
The teen-age athlete sustained a rotator cuff tear but fully recovered after surgery and 12 weeks of physical therapy. Rotator cuff tears are rare in teen-agers, but are more common in teen-agers participating in football, skateboarding, wrestling and pitching because of arm position at the time of an injury.
Dr. Trenhaile and his associates concluded that despite their rarity, rotator cuff tears should be considered in adolescent shoulder injuries. Dr. Trenhaile adds: “Raising clinical suspicion on this issue is imperative for the successful treatment of a devastating injury for such a young athlete. The unique features of this case were the tear pattern in an adolescent with open growth plates.”
Dr. Trenhaile has been recognized by a worldwide orthopedic newsletter, Scope This Out, for developing a revolutionary less-invasive technique for repairing massive rotator cuff tears.
Rockford Orthopedic Associates, Ltd. (ROA) serves the northern Illinois region in multi-specialty orthopedics and offers a full range of bone and joint care including the specialties of podiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation and rheumatology.
Posted Jan. 30, 2013