- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Mars explorer to visit Roscoe manufacturer Jan. 31
BELOIT, Wis. — Thursday, Jan. 31, the chief scientist for the Mars Science Laboratory Mission will be visiting a Roscoe, Ill., company that manufactures parts for the Mars rovers.
Dr. John Grotzinger will receive a tour of Forest City Gear, 11715 Main St., Roscoe, Ill., by the heads of the company, Fred and Wendy Young.
Grotzinger is this year’s recipient of the Roy Chapman Andrew Society’s Distinguished Explorer Award. During the award presentation Friday, Feb. 1, he will give a lecture titled, “Mars Science Laboratory Mission: First Results.” The presentation, which is free and open to the public, will take place at 4:30 p.m. in Eaton Chapel on the Beloit College campus, 700 College St., Beloit, Wis.
For more about Dr. Grotzinger’s visit to Beloit, visit www.roychapmanandrewssociety.org.
From the Jan. 30-Feb. 5, 2013, issue