- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Mars explorer to visit Roscoe manufacturer Jan. 31
BELOIT, Wis. — Thursday, Jan. 31, the chief scientist for the Mars Science Laboratory Mission will be visiting a Roscoe, Ill., company that manufactures parts for the Mars rovers.
Dr. John Grotzinger will receive a tour of Forest City Gear, 11715 Main St., Roscoe, Ill., by the heads of the company, Fred and Wendy Young.
Grotzinger is this year’s recipient of the Roy Chapman Andrew Society’s Distinguished Explorer Award. During the award presentation Friday, Feb. 1, he will give a lecture titled, “Mars Science Laboratory Mission: First Results.” The presentation, which is free and open to the public, will take place at 4:30 p.m. in Eaton Chapel on the Beloit College campus, 700 College St., Beloit, Wis.
For more about Dr. Grotzinger’s visit to Beloit, visit www.roychapmanandrewssociety.org.
From the Jan. 30-Feb. 5, 2013, issue