- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Blood and marrow drive at Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall Feb. 9
Online Staff Report
Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall, First Northern Credit Union and Q98.5 will host a blood and marrow drive from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 9, inside the Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall showroom, 7070 CherryVale N. Blvd., Rockford.
The annual event is aimed at raising awareness and encouraging blood, marrow, organ and tissue donation.
George Schaffner, Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall general manager, said: “We are so pleased to be able to carry on this wonderful event. This has become an annual event that the blood center really counts on, and I am happy to welcome them to Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall. It’s an amazing thing to be a part of.”
Q98.5’s Q Crew will be broadcasting live from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be special-edition souvenir T-shirts and other prizes while supplies last. Food will also be available throughout the day. Attendees can register to win assorted prizes, including tickets to Country Thunder in July.
Attendees will also be able to meet with representatives from UIC’s College of Pharmacy and receive assorted health screenings. The Winnebago County Safe Kids Coalition will be offering car seat safety checks onsite as well. Circle of Wellness will be on hand providing chair massages for donors.
The need for donation is significant. Each day, approximately 40,000 units of blood are needed to save the lives of thousands of Americans. Nearly 98,000 people in the United States are waiting for life-saving organ transplants. Approximately 38,000 patients each year are diagnosed with leukemia or other blood diseases that are potentially treatable with marrow cell transplants — but just one in three will find a donor match within their family.
The Rock River Valley Blood Center serves as a centralized, community blood center, and is the only provider of blood products and services to Beloit Health System, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, Freeport Health Network, Mercy Harvard Hospital, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rochelle Community Hospital, Rockford Health System, SwedishAmerican Hospital and SwedishAmerican Medical Center — Belvidere.
For more about the blood center, call (877) 778-2299 or (815) 965-8751, or visit rrvbc.org.
Posted Feb. 6, 2013