- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Oregon teacher develops video lesson for TED-Ed
Aaron Sitze, an English teacher at Oregon High School, recently developed a video lesson explaining how to convey time, specifically slowing down time, in writing and film. His lesson was nominated and published on the TED-Ed website Jan. 24. “Slowing Down Time (in writing & film)” has already been viewed 1,711 times and modified by 16 educators for use in their own classrooms.
TED-Ed aims to capture and share the voices of the world’s greatest educators by pairing extraordinary teachers with talented animators to produce a new library of exceptional educational videos. Sitze submitted his lesson after being encouraged to do so by one of his students who found it helpful.
“This idea of slowing down time in narrative writing is really unexplored,” Sitze said. “There was no good resource for this type of writing. It is a difficult thing to explain, so I used the metaphor of film to help them understand. This will help students to develop the writing skills they need to convey that slow-motion experience.”
Sitze is a graduate of Northern Illinois University and has been teaching at Oregon High School for the past 10 years. He hopes his lesson being placed on TED-Ed will encourage other Oregon teachers to share their areas of expertise on TED-Ed. To view his lesson, go to http://ed.ted.com/lessons/slowing-down-time-in-writing-film-aaron-sitze.
From the Feb. 6-12, 2013, issue