- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference at Midway Village Feb. 11
Online Staff Report
University of Illinois Extension and University of Wisconsin-Extension will co-host the 17th Annual Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference on Monday, Feb. 11, at Midway Village Museum in Rockford. The cost to attend is $40 per person or $50 for late registration (after Feb.7). Registration includes two general education sessions, attendee’s choice of four breakout sessions, continental breakfast and lunch.
Speakers represent University of Illinois Extension, University of Wisconsin-Extension, and Purdue University Extension. The keynote speaker is Liz Maynard, Extension Specialist with Purdue University, who will address last year’s cantaloupe contamination in Indiana — how it happened and how to prevent it from happening again. Other sessions include insect and disease control for fruits and vegetables, use of high tunnels, organic soil amendments, drought issues, crop storage, produce safety tips and more.
The Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference is for both the experienced and beginner farmer, the conventional and organic grower, and those with many acres as well as the small-scale market grower. Sessions will provide research-based information and best practices from Illinois, Wisconsin and Purdue University Extension Services.
To register, visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw or call U of I Extension-Winnebago County office at (815) 986-4357.
The annual Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference is co-sponsored by the University of Illinois Extension and University of Wisconsin-Extension.
Posted Feb. 6, 2013