- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference at Midway Village Feb. 11
Online Staff Report
University of Illinois Extension and University of Wisconsin-Extension will co-host the 17th Annual Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference on Monday, Feb. 11, at Midway Village Museum in Rockford. The cost to attend is $40 per person or $50 for late registration (after Feb.7). Registration includes two general education sessions, attendee’s choice of four breakout sessions, continental breakfast and lunch.
Speakers represent University of Illinois Extension, University of Wisconsin-Extension, and Purdue University Extension. The keynote speaker is Liz Maynard, Extension Specialist with Purdue University, who will address last year’s cantaloupe contamination in Indiana — how it happened and how to prevent it from happening again. Other sessions include insect and disease control for fruits and vegetables, use of high tunnels, organic soil amendments, drought issues, crop storage, produce safety tips and more.
The Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference is for both the experienced and beginner farmer, the conventional and organic grower, and those with many acres as well as the small-scale market grower. Sessions will provide research-based information and best practices from Illinois, Wisconsin and Purdue University Extension Services.
To register, visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw or call U of I Extension-Winnebago County office at (815) 986-4357.
The annual Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference is co-sponsored by the University of Illinois Extension and University of Wisconsin-Extension.
Posted Feb. 6, 2013