- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Submissions sought for Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
DEKALB, Ill. — In celebration of Earth Day, Northern Illinois University (NIU) will host the Third Annual Green Lens Environmental Film Festival Saturday-Thursday, April 20-25.
Presented by the NIU Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability and Energy (ESE), along with NIU Outreach, the six-day event is intended to encourage community interest and involvement in environmental sustainable living. This year’s theme is “Our Planet in Focus.”
The Green Lens Festival also includes sustainability workshops, panel discussions led by local environmental experts, hands-on family activities and more.
At the Egyptian Theatre in DeKalb, the festival will provide student and professional filmmakers, as well as local talent, a venue to screen their films and receive recognition for significant contributions to the understanding of environmental issues.
The films will be reviewed by a panel of judges, and the films that receive the highest scores will be shown Sunday, April 20. Cash prizes of $300 will be awarded in each of the following categories:
• Best Narrative Short
• Best Documentary Short
• Best Student Film
• Audience Choice
The winning films will be announced and shown during Best of the Fest Thursday, April 25, at the Egyptian Theatre.
All films must be 30 minutes or less, and entries must be received no later than midnight, April 1. Entries submitted will be required to pay $40 by March 1, or $55 for the April 1 extended deadline.
Films can be submitted using the online self-distribution website Withoutabox at https://www.withoutabox.com/login/12331. Entrants are required to create a login name, supply film information and provide an online press pack.
DVDs can be mailed to 307 Lowden Hall, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115.
From the Feb. 6-12, 2013, issue