- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Amped Up Urban Adventure Race April 7 in Rockford
By Doug Halberstadt
Earlier this week, I opened up my e-mail, and there was an offer from one of those discount promotion companies. Let’s just say for the sake of anonymity this one’s name rhymes with coupon.
They were offering 51 percent off an entry fee into an Amped Up Urban Adventure Race. Normally, when presented with any offer that would involve me participating in a race, I automatically hit delete. My race days are long behind me. This one was different, though.
In addition to the fabulous discount, the other thing that was too good to be true was this event was taking place less than 1 mile from my house. That was the hook they used to get me to open up the e-mail. It worked.
After reviewing the fine print, I found out I can get an entry into this adrenaline junkie event for only $39. It’s normally an $80.12 value. How could I possibly pass this one up?
Even if it were free, I’m not sure this is the event for me. I usually go to this website for two-for-one dining offers or half-price pizzas. Imagine my surprise when I saw this one. How dare they?
Sunday, April 7, racers of all experience levels will pedal, sprint and paddle their way through a trifecta of physical events and end the competition in a specially-designed urban obstacle course. The first three parts of the event span approximately 6 miles, 8 miles and 4 miles, respectively. Each event raises money for a community organization or cause. Youth and family divisions encourage participation from all people who want to take part in the activity. Races begin at 8 a.m. at the YMCA Log Lodge in Rockford.
Unfortunately, this offer has now expired. I’m sure if this is something that you’d be interested in, you could get more information and details by going to www.ampedupadventurerace.com or by calling the local YMCA at (815) 987-2252.
Even at full price, I’m sure you’ll have a blast! ENJOY! I hope it’ll be a nice day, and while you’re adventure racing, I hope to be hitting the links. I wonder if they have a coupon for reduced green fees?
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Feb. 13-19, 2013, issue