- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
U of I Extension to offer spring sustainable landscaping series
Online Staff Report
University of Illinois Extension is offering a spring sustainable landscaping series beginning March 12. Classes will meet from 6 to 7 p.m. at Midway Village Museum, Rockford. Sessions will be offered every other Tuesday, March 12-May 7. The cost is $5 per session, or all five sessions for $20.
• March 12: Introduction to Landscape Planning and Design — Learn basic landscape design techniques and sustainable hardscape installation. Participants will be given individual direction to create a personalized landscape plan.
• March 26: Right Plant, Right Location — Learn how to achieve energy efficiency in your home through proper planting, wind break installation and more.
• April 9: Sustainable Landscaping 101 — Learn about various aspects of sustainable landscaping including low-energy landscaping and sustainable weed control techniques.
• April 23: Water Efficient Landscaping — Learn how to install a rain garden and plant a xeriscape. Proper mulching techniques for water conservation and water storage irrigation options will also be discussed.
• May 7: Gardening for Pollinators — Sustainable gardening can help attract and retain our native pollinators in the garden. Learn how to select and retain the right plants for attracting pollinators, especially butterflies and hummingbirds in your garden.
For more information and to register, visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw or call (815) 986-4357.
From the Feb. 13-19, 2013, issue