- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
U of I Extension to offer spring sustainable landscaping series
Online Staff Report
University of Illinois Extension is offering a spring sustainable landscaping series beginning March 12. Classes will meet from 6 to 7 p.m. at Midway Village Museum, Rockford. Sessions will be offered every other Tuesday, March 12-May 7. The cost is $5 per session, or all five sessions for $20.
• March 12: Introduction to Landscape Planning and Design — Learn basic landscape design techniques and sustainable hardscape installation. Participants will be given individual direction to create a personalized landscape plan.
• March 26: Right Plant, Right Location — Learn how to achieve energy efficiency in your home through proper planting, wind break installation and more.
• April 9: Sustainable Landscaping 101 — Learn about various aspects of sustainable landscaping including low-energy landscaping and sustainable weed control techniques.
• April 23: Water Efficient Landscaping — Learn how to install a rain garden and plant a xeriscape. Proper mulching techniques for water conservation and water storage irrigation options will also be discussed.
• May 7: Gardening for Pollinators — Sustainable gardening can help attract and retain our native pollinators in the garden. Learn how to select and retain the right plants for attracting pollinators, especially butterflies and hummingbirds in your garden.
For more information and to register, visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw or call (815) 986-4357.
From the Feb. 13-19, 2013, issue