- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
U of I Extension to offer spring sustainable landscaping series
Online Staff Report
University of Illinois Extension is offering a spring sustainable landscaping series beginning March 12. Classes will meet from 6 to 7 p.m. at Midway Village Museum, Rockford. Sessions will be offered every other Tuesday, March 12-May 7. The cost is $5 per session, or all five sessions for $20.
• March 12: Introduction to Landscape Planning and Design — Learn basic landscape design techniques and sustainable hardscape installation. Participants will be given individual direction to create a personalized landscape plan.
• March 26: Right Plant, Right Location — Learn how to achieve energy efficiency in your home through proper planting, wind break installation and more.
• April 9: Sustainable Landscaping 101 — Learn about various aspects of sustainable landscaping including low-energy landscaping and sustainable weed control techniques.
• April 23: Water Efficient Landscaping — Learn how to install a rain garden and plant a xeriscape. Proper mulching techniques for water conservation and water storage irrigation options will also be discussed.
• May 7: Gardening for Pollinators — Sustainable gardening can help attract and retain our native pollinators in the garden. Learn how to select and retain the right plants for attracting pollinators, especially butterflies and hummingbirds in your garden.
For more information and to register, visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw or call (815) 986-4357.
From the Feb. 13-19, 2013, issue