- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
U of I Extension to offer spring sustainable landscaping series
Online Staff Report
University of Illinois Extension is offering a spring sustainable landscaping series beginning March 12. Classes will meet from 6 to 7 p.m. at Midway Village Museum, Rockford. Sessions will be offered every other Tuesday, March 12-May 7. The cost is $5 per session, or all five sessions for $20.
• March 12: Introduction to Landscape Planning and Design — Learn basic landscape design techniques and sustainable hardscape installation. Participants will be given individual direction to create a personalized landscape plan.
• March 26: Right Plant, Right Location — Learn how to achieve energy efficiency in your home through proper planting, wind break installation and more.
• April 9: Sustainable Landscaping 101 — Learn about various aspects of sustainable landscaping including low-energy landscaping and sustainable weed control techniques.
• April 23: Water Efficient Landscaping — Learn how to install a rain garden and plant a xeriscape. Proper mulching techniques for water conservation and water storage irrigation options will also be discussed.
• May 7: Gardening for Pollinators — Sustainable gardening can help attract and retain our native pollinators in the garden. Learn how to select and retain the right plants for attracting pollinators, especially butterflies and hummingbirds in your garden.
For more information and to register, visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw or call (815) 986-4357.
From the Feb. 13-19, 2013, issue