- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
Literary Hook: A poem inspired by a winter scene
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Editor’s note: In the Jan. 9-15 “Literary Hook,” the second line of the “Unwinding the Old Year” poem should have read as follows: “mixed blessings hanging from your tree,”. The Rock River Times regrets the error.
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to write sonnets. I enjoy working with the sonnet because its form gives you boundaries: 14 lines, 10 syllables per line, every other line rhymed, ending in a rhymed couplet.
The poem was inspired from a view from the second floor. The sun looked like a tree coming out of the horizon with an odd-pointed shape, although it was actually setting. Winter scenes can inspire poems if you let them.
Magenta sunset points like a pine tree
from the corner of my bedroom window.
All is quiet here this January.
Kitty snuggles up against my pillow.
Dusk brings beauty even in the winter
when stars begin to hang like icicles.
The indigo night begins to enter
and softly from its corner tickles
Venus and Saturn near the ringed moon.
Come O winter night to bless our slumber.
From your vast horizon may silence croon.
Let our dear dreams serve to unencumber.
O chilly winter rise and cast your spell.
In your long night of perfect sleep we dwell.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the Feb. 20-26, 2013, issue