- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Literary Hook: A poem inspired by a winter scene
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Editor’s note: In the Jan. 9-15 “Literary Hook,” the second line of the “Unwinding the Old Year” poem should have read as follows: “mixed blessings hanging from your tree,”. The Rock River Times regrets the error.
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to write sonnets. I enjoy working with the sonnet because its form gives you boundaries: 14 lines, 10 syllables per line, every other line rhymed, ending in a rhymed couplet.
The poem was inspired from a view from the second floor. The sun looked like a tree coming out of the horizon with an odd-pointed shape, although it was actually setting. Winter scenes can inspire poems if you let them.
Magenta sunset points like a pine tree
from the corner of my bedroom window.
All is quiet here this January.
Kitty snuggles up against my pillow.
Dusk brings beauty even in the winter
when stars begin to hang like icicles.
The indigo night begins to enter
and softly from its corner tickles
Venus and Saturn near the ringed moon.
Come O winter night to bless our slumber.
From your vast horizon may silence croon.
Let our dear dreams serve to unencumber.
O chilly winter rise and cast your spell.
In your long night of perfect sleep we dwell.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the Feb. 20-26, 2013, issue