- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
Parrot Head Club hosts 13th Annual Island Beach Bash Feb. 23
Online Staff Report
It’s time to dust off that colorful Hawaiian shirt and that straw sunhat because Denis Knuth, president of the Northern Illinois Parrot Head Club (NIPHC), has announced they will be holding their 13th Annual Island Beach Bash from 6 p.m. to midnight, Saturday, Feb. 23, at Giovanni’s, 610 N. Bell School Road, Rockford.
Money raised from the Beach Bash goes to the Northwestern Illinois Special Olympics. Last year, $17,400 was raised with 650 Parrot Heads dancing the night away with tropical rock music by Pirates Over 40. This year, the Bash will be featuring two bands, Pirates Over 40 along with Johnny Russler and the Beach Bum Band. Tropical crooner Tony Amber will open the event at 6 p.m.
According to Knuth, there will be cheeseburgers, chips and adult beverages available to purchase. The event will also feature a 50/50 raffle, a silent auction with many fun baskets of goodies, plus a raffle for some outstanding prizes.
“We have groups that come in on buses from as far away as Peoria and Springfield for this event,” Knuth added. “If you’re a fan of Jimmy Buffett and the tropical lifestyle, then you’ll love this fun break from the wintertime blues.”
Tickets to the event are $15 per person in advance or $20 at the door. Tickets will be available at Giovanni’s; Psaltis Chiropractic Clinic, 4202 Maray Drive; and at Kobyco Windows and Doors, 4131 N. Perryville.
For more information or to purchase tickets online, go to www.islandbeachbash.com.
For more about the event or the club, contact Knuth at (815) 398-5237 or e-mail IslandBeachBash@gmail.com.
The NIPHC is a non-profit group interested in Jimmy Buffet music, community service and environmental issues. Visit www.niphc.com.
Posted Feb. 20, 2013