- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Pony club riding center opens in McHenry County
• Paddock Hills Pony Club Riding Center open house Feb. 23
Online Staff Report
UNION, Ill. — Paddock Hills Pony Club Riding Center is the first of its kind in the region. The program gives area youth the opportunity to join a Pony Club without the need to own a horse.
Paddock Hills Pony Club Riding Center teaches youth, ages 4-25, riding, mounted sports, and the care of horses and ponies; thereby developing responsibility, moral judgment, leadership and self-confidence.
Just as in the traditional Pony Club, members of a Pony Club Riding Center move through the Standards of Proficiency; 10 levels of achievement demonstrating advancing skills in both riding and horse management. All members are encouraged to progress at a pace that is comfortable for them.
Tom Adams, United States Pony Clubs president, said, “In response to the changing demographics of our youth, the Riding Center concept was started to help provide the Pony Club program to those who may not have direct access to a horse.”
According to Kim Cederlund, manager of Paddock Hills Pony Club Riding Center, providing a Pony Club Riding Center is the next logical step for Paddock Hills Equestrian Center, where eight school horses are boarded on the premises.
“By giving members access to our horses, we believe we can fulfill a need for students who love horses, but don’t have the opportunity to join a Pony Club because they don’t own a horse,” Cederlund said.
An open house for Paddock Hills Pony Club Riding Center is scheduled 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 23, at 8510 Prairie Field, Union, Ill. Learn about Pony Club, meet the instructors, groom the horses, and see live demonstrations and mounted games. Enter the raffle for free prizes and giveaways.
For more information, call Paddock Hills at (815) 923-4755.
Posted Feb. 20, 2013