- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Strong Kids Campaign kick-off event March 2 at Rockford YMCA
Online Staff Report
The YMCA of Rock River Valley will launch the Community/Membership Division of their 2013 Strong Kids Campaign with a special kick-off event from 11 a.m. to noon, Saturday, March 2, in the Log Lodge at 200 Y Blvd., Rockford.
The theme for this year’s campaign is “You Are Y,” signifying that the volunteers, donors and staff are why the YMCA can help overcome critical social issues in Rockford, enhance education, provide scholarships and create innovative family programming.
The Community/Membership Division co-chairmen for 2013 are Lesley Medrano, Eric Wilson and Marla Wilson. Twelve teams, composed of well more than 100 volunteers, will be involved to meet the $500,000 goal.
Tax-deductible contributions will support YMCA charitable services and initiatives in the following three focus areas that strengthen the communities of the Rock River Valley:
1. Youth Development — The YMCA believes that values and skills learned early on are vital building blocks for life and create a path to success and hope. With so many demands on today’s families and the increased focus on early brain development, families need all the support they can get to nurture the potential of children and teens.
2. Healthy Living — The YMCA inspires people of all ages to play, be active, and to maintain a healthy lifestyle and balanced spirit, mind and body. The benefits of living healthier on the inside and the outside translate to an improvement in the overall health and well-being of our communities.
3. Social Responsibility — The YMCA believes that lasting personal and social change can happen only when we all work together to invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors. The Y has been listening and responding to our communities’ most critical social needs, and is a powerful ally and advocate for change. Together with community partners, the Y is tackling issues such as childhood obesity, education and expansion of services past YMCA facility walls to reach other neighborhoods within our communities.
YMCA campaign volunteers will be contacting more than 1,000 prospects now through the end of April. Anyone interested in making a donation may do so online through the YMCA website at www.rockriverymca.org. For more about the YMCA of Rock River Valley and the Strong Kids Campaign, visit the website or contact the YMCA Fund Development office at (815) 489-3330.
Posted Feb. 27, 2013