- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
FBI searches NIU campus police station in DeKalb
Online Staff Report
DEKALB, Ill. — The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has executed a search warrant at the Northern Illinois University (NIU) campus police station in DeKalb, Ill., as part of what the agency is calling “an ongoing criminal investigation” that includes the Illinois State Police, the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
An FBI spokesperson said March 6 that the search warrant was executed, but provided no further details.
Former NIU Police Chief Donald Grady was fired last month for the alleged mishandling of evidence in a sexual assault case. A DeKalb County grand jury indicted a former NIU police officer of sexual assault in February, but the charges against the officer were eventually dropped. It is unclear whether the March 6 search of the campus police station is related to Grady’s firing or the sexual assault case.
NIU released the following statement March 6: “Personnel from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Illinois State Police and others are on campus today executing a search warrant related to an ongoing investigation.
“The university is cooperating fully in this matter.
“According to the FBI, the activity is NOT in response to any public safety concerns, and during the execution of the warrant, the public safety functions of the department of police and public safety are continuing uninterrupted.”
Posted March 6, 2013