- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
FBI searches NIU campus police station in DeKalb
Online Staff Report
DEKALB, Ill. — The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has executed a search warrant at the Northern Illinois University (NIU) campus police station in DeKalb, Ill., as part of what the agency is calling “an ongoing criminal investigation” that includes the Illinois State Police, the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
An FBI spokesperson said March 6 that the search warrant was executed, but provided no further details.
Former NIU Police Chief Donald Grady was fired last month for the alleged mishandling of evidence in a sexual assault case. A DeKalb County grand jury indicted a former NIU police officer of sexual assault in February, but the charges against the officer were eventually dropped. It is unclear whether the March 6 search of the campus police station is related to Grady’s firing or the sexual assault case.
NIU released the following statement March 6: “Personnel from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Illinois State Police and others are on campus today executing a search warrant related to an ongoing investigation.
“The university is cooperating fully in this matter.
“According to the FBI, the activity is NOT in response to any public safety concerns, and during the execution of the warrant, the public safety functions of the department of police and public safety are continuing uninterrupted.”
Posted March 6, 2013