- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
Bubble Festival at Discovery Center March 16
Online Staff Report
Geoffrey “Merlin” Akins fancies himself both a magician and a bubbleologist. Akins will demonstrate his skills as both during six live performances at Discovery Center’s 2013 Bubble Festival Saturday, March 16.
Following each live performance, audiences will be invited to test their own bubble skills with bubble art and activities in the Bubble-Palooza Playground.
Akins creates huge, wobbly, electric dancing bubbles, bubbles inside bubbles, hand-blown bubbles, bubble caterpillars, bubble ice-cream cones, bubble snowmen, smoke-filled volcano bubbles, a fully-functioning bubble merry-go-round, and even the impossi-bubble square bubble.
Akins has appeared on CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood. He has also appeared on the National Geographic Channel, WGN and at the Bristol Renaissance Faire. He has been entertaining and educating children for more than 25 years.
“If you’re looking for something unique … look no further!” Akins said. “I do a whole show with ordinary soap bubbles. It’s fun, inspiring, educational and will captivate both children and adults alike.”
Shows are at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Tickets are $4 for the public and $3 for members through March 15 in advance; and $5 for the public and $4 for members at the door. Museum admission is extra for the general public: $8 adults, $8 children and free for age 1 and younger.
To reserve tickets, call (815) 963-6769.
Discovery Center Museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
Posted March 13, 2013