- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
- TRRT Online Edition | July 29-August 4
- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
LYDIA Urban Academy alum receives scholarship
Brittany Marshall, a former graduate of LYDIA Urban Academy, was named Huskie Legacy from Northern Illinois University (NIU) for her outstanding academic achievement. In honor of this award, Marshall received a certificate and a scholarship for $1,000.
“I am incredibly honored to be accepted into NIU and be named a Huskie Legacy,” Marshall said. As an English major with a minor in history, Marshall pinpointed the university as her school of choice because she knew they would be able to challenge her both personally and academically.
Marshall attributes part of her success to the nontraditional education she received at LYDIA Urban Academy. “I am very thankful for LYDIA,” Marshall said. “They were willing to take the time and work one on one with me.” Marshall had recognized early on that to be successful, she needed smaller classroom sizes to keep her accountable and to allow the teachers to identify areas where she needed help. She graduated from LYDIA in 2010 by age 16.
In addition to being a Huskie Legacy recipient, Marshall has also received a combination of three other grants and scholarships, and her plan is to earn more in the upcoming months.
LYDIA Urban Academy is a NCA-accredited, nontraditional, Christian high school whose purpose is to serve students who are not succeeding in a traditional school system. LYDIA is a high school diploma program with a unique focus on character education, work readiness, life skills training and mentoring. For more information, visit www.lydiarockford.org or call (815) 966-0039.
Posted March 13, 2013