- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Relay For Life of Ogle West kick-off event March 20 in Byron, Ill.
Online Staff Report
BYRON, Ill. — The American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Ogle West will hold its annual kick-off event from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, March 20, at Byron City Hall, 232 Second St., Byron, Ill.
Friends, neighbors, cancer survivors, caregivers and anyone interested in learning more about Relay For Life are encouraged to attend.
The kick-off event offers information about the American Cancer Society’s mission of saving lives faster by helping people stay well, helping people get well, finding cures and fighting back. Refreshments will be provided, and guests will have the opportunity to win prizes and learn more about the activities planned for this year’s Relay For Life.
Relay For Life is an overnight event where teams of local businesses, schools, churches, community groups and families build awareness and raise funds — prior to and at the event — to fight cancer. While the main objective of Relay For Life is to raise money for cancer research and cancer patients, the event helps spread cancer awareness, celebrate the lives of survivors, remember those who lost their lives to cancer and unite a community in the fight against cancer.
This year’s American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Ogle West will be June 21 at Oregon High School and will feature a Wizard of Oz theme. Volunteers are needed to organize and recruit teams, secure community support, coordinate logistics, obtain refreshments and prizes, assist with publicity and plan entertainment activities for this event.
For more about the Relay For Life kick-off celebration, contact the American Cancer Society at (815) 229-1287 or visit relayforlife.org/ogleil.
Posted March 13, 2013