- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Swing Dance fund-raiser set for March 16 at Memorial Hall
Veterans Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main St., Rockford, will host a fund-raiser to help support its mission to honor the veterans of Winnebago County. This inaugural Spring Dance will feature two musical acts, snacks and a cash bar provided by Kryptonite Bar. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Advance reservations must be made by calling (815) 969-1999.
Doors will open at 6 p.m., with the Mary J. Harris Swing Band playing from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., and Midnight Swing Co. B playing from 8 p.m. to midnight.
The Mary J. Harris Swing Band features high-energy musicians playing tunes from the great American Swing Era, past and present. A dancer herself, she understands what dancers love to do — move! For more information, visit www.maryjharris.com.
Swingin’ Company B, based out of southeastern Wisconsin, is a 16-piece big band performing live big-band and swing-era music from the 1930s and 1940s. Lead singer Missy formed this band in 2010 in honor of her father, who is a retired Army Lt. Colonel and was a medic during World War II and in the Korean War. Her parents met while working together in the USO in the mid 1950s. Missy wears her mother’s vintage USO armband during performances. For more information, visit www.swingincompanyb.com.
From the March 13-19, 2013, issue