- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Swing Dance fund-raiser set for March 16 at Memorial Hall
Veterans Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main St., Rockford, will host a fund-raiser to help support its mission to honor the veterans of Winnebago County. This inaugural Spring Dance will feature two musical acts, snacks and a cash bar provided by Kryptonite Bar. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Advance reservations must be made by calling (815) 969-1999.
Doors will open at 6 p.m., with the Mary J. Harris Swing Band playing from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., and Midnight Swing Co. B playing from 8 p.m. to midnight.
The Mary J. Harris Swing Band features high-energy musicians playing tunes from the great American Swing Era, past and present. A dancer herself, she understands what dancers love to do — move! For more information, visit www.maryjharris.com.
Swingin’ Company B, based out of southeastern Wisconsin, is a 16-piece big band performing live big-band and swing-era music from the 1930s and 1940s. Lead singer Missy formed this band in 2010 in honor of her father, who is a retired Army Lt. Colonel and was a medic during World War II and in the Korean War. Her parents met while working together in the USO in the mid 1950s. Missy wears her mother’s vintage USO armband during performances. For more information, visit www.swingincompanyb.com.
From the March 13-19, 2013, issue