Online Staff Report
As a leader in brain injury rehabilitation, Van Matre HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital, 950 S. Mulford Road, Rockford, will join the Brain Injury Association of America and its partners this month in recognizing Brain Injury Awareness Month. Throughout March, the hospital is highlighting the importance of preventing head injuries and the healing power of brain injury rehabilitation.
The Brain Injury Association of America cites the most common causes of brain injury as vehicle crashes, falls, sports injuries and violence. To prevent injury, Van Matre encourages people to think ahead and make the following smart choices for brain injury prevention:
• Wear a seat belt every time you drive or ride in a motor vehicle;
• Buckle your child into a child safety seat, booster seat or seat belt in the car;
• Never drive or engage in physical activity while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
• Wear a helmet and make sure your children wear helmets during appropriate activities;
• Use safe guards to avoid falls;
• Check first the depth of the water when swimming or diving;
• Make sure the surface on your child’s playground is made of shock-absorbing material, such as hardwood, mulch and sand;
• Keep firearms stored unloaded in a locked cabinet or safe. Store bullets in a separate secured location; and
• Don’t text while driving.
Van Matre HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital is a 55-bed inpatient rehabilitation hospital that offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation. Serving patients throughout northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, the hospital is online at www.vanmatrerehab.com. Van Matre is a joint venture between Rockford Health System and HealthSouth Corporation.
Posted March 20, 2013