- Phishing scam targets I-PASS users
- 3rd Street bridge structurally deficient, to be closed March 19
- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
Youth Dodge Ball Tournament March 30 at West Middle School
Online Staff Report
The Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council (MYAC) is hosting a Dodge Ball Tournament open to Rockford public and private school students ages 14-18 beginning at 1 p.m., Saturday, March 30, at West Middle School, 1900 N. Rockton Ave., Rockford.
Cost per five-member team is $25 or $5 per player. Registration forms are available at the main offices of Rockford high schools, at the Community Services Division of the City of Rockford Human Services Department, 555 N. Court St., Suite 301, or can be requested by calling (815) 987-5711. Deadline to register is March 25. Admission for spectators is $1.
The tournament, titled “BE YOU,” will also feature the HIP HOP Congress, whose performances include spoken word, dance and rap with messages that focus on encouraging students to love and respect themselves and not follow the crowd.
Awards will be given to first- and second-place teams, as well as the team with the most creative name and uniforms. MYAC will donate the funds raised to the Rockford Park District’s “Fun for All Kids” fee assistance program and also to assist families with needs during the 2013 Christmas season.
MYAC is composed of area high school-age youth whose mission is “to engage and empower Rockford’s high school youth to affect positive change for themselves, their families and their community.” MYAC is funded through the Community Services Block Grant program of the City of Rockford Human Services Department. The tournament is sponsored by the Rockford Park District.
Posted March 20, 2013