- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
- Impacts of low oil prices
- Monica Lewinsky takes aim at online bullying
- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
Youth Dodge Ball Tournament March 30 at West Middle School
Online Staff Report
The Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council (MYAC) is hosting a Dodge Ball Tournament open to Rockford public and private school students ages 14-18 beginning at 1 p.m., Saturday, March 30, at West Middle School, 1900 N. Rockton Ave., Rockford.
Cost per five-member team is $25 or $5 per player. Registration forms are available at the main offices of Rockford high schools, at the Community Services Division of the City of Rockford Human Services Department, 555 N. Court St., Suite 301, or can be requested by calling (815) 987-5711. Deadline to register is March 25. Admission for spectators is $1.
The tournament, titled “BE YOU,” will also feature the HIP HOP Congress, whose performances include spoken word, dance and rap with messages that focus on encouraging students to love and respect themselves and not follow the crowd.
Awards will be given to first- and second-place teams, as well as the team with the most creative name and uniforms. MYAC will donate the funds raised to the Rockford Park District’s “Fun for All Kids” fee assistance program and also to assist families with needs during the 2013 Christmas season.
MYAC is composed of area high school-age youth whose mission is “to engage and empower Rockford’s high school youth to affect positive change for themselves, their families and their community.” MYAC is funded through the Community Services Block Grant program of the City of Rockford Human Services Department. The tournament is sponsored by the Rockford Park District.
Posted March 20, 2013