- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Chandler Starr scholarship winners named
The Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center has announced the winners of the 52nd Anniversary Chandler Starr Miller Scholarship Competition.
Eighty-eight students, ages 8-23, from 14 counties in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin competed Saturday, Feb. 23, for monetary awards in various divisions including piano, voice, strings and instruments. Prominent adjudicators from throughout the region evaluated the students and critiqued their performances. All the winners were honored at a recital Sunday, Feb. 24, at Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center’s newly acquired facility, Mendelssohn Hall (formerly First Presbyterian Church). The first-place winners in each division performed at the recital.
Following is a list of the winners of each division:
Elementary Strings: Kodai Speich, Kathryn Willette and Rebecca Millard.
Elementary Piano: Kodai Speich, Andrew Leston and Hudson Repke. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Sabrina Meng.
Junior Strings: Alyssa Leston, Benjamin Rodriguez, William Jiang, Hannah C. Aitken and Anna Stenzel. Honorable Mentions at the Judges’ discernment: Julian Willette, Liesa Caswell and Gabriel Rodriguez.
Junior Piano: Charles Meyers, Emma Webb, Christina Wu, Alyssa Leston and Kirsten Tunink. Honorable Mentions at the Judges’ discernment: Ella Domingo and Jonathon Rivera.
Senior Non-String Orchestral Instruments: Benjamin Smelser and Thomas Wu. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Alaina Chester.
Senior Voice: Jordan Elise Knapick, Lillian Dvorak and Melissa Dishner. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Bridget Pearse.
Senior Piano: Ella Caswell, Allison Kozinski and Amber Leston.
Senior Strings: Rachel Stenzel, Benjamin Smelser, Carissa McQuaid and Ella Caswell. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Andrew Willette.
College Voice: Josiah Caswell and Jennalee Brummel. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Mary Cate Cichock.
The 52nd Anniversary Chandler Starr Miller Scholarship Competition was sponsored in part by the Illinois Arts Council. For scholarship competition and future concert details, call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit the website at www.mendelssohnpac.org.
Posted April 3, 2013