- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Chandler Starr scholarship winners named
The Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center has announced the winners of the 52nd Anniversary Chandler Starr Miller Scholarship Competition.
Eighty-eight students, ages 8-23, from 14 counties in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin competed Saturday, Feb. 23, for monetary awards in various divisions including piano, voice, strings and instruments. Prominent adjudicators from throughout the region evaluated the students and critiqued their performances. All the winners were honored at a recital Sunday, Feb. 24, at Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center’s newly acquired facility, Mendelssohn Hall (formerly First Presbyterian Church). The first-place winners in each division performed at the recital.
Following is a list of the winners of each division:
Elementary Strings: Kodai Speich, Kathryn Willette and Rebecca Millard.
Elementary Piano: Kodai Speich, Andrew Leston and Hudson Repke. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Sabrina Meng.
Junior Strings: Alyssa Leston, Benjamin Rodriguez, William Jiang, Hannah C. Aitken and Anna Stenzel. Honorable Mentions at the Judges’ discernment: Julian Willette, Liesa Caswell and Gabriel Rodriguez.
Junior Piano: Charles Meyers, Emma Webb, Christina Wu, Alyssa Leston and Kirsten Tunink. Honorable Mentions at the Judges’ discernment: Ella Domingo and Jonathon Rivera.
Senior Non-String Orchestral Instruments: Benjamin Smelser and Thomas Wu. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Alaina Chester.
Senior Voice: Jordan Elise Knapick, Lillian Dvorak and Melissa Dishner. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Bridget Pearse.
Senior Piano: Ella Caswell, Allison Kozinski and Amber Leston.
Senior Strings: Rachel Stenzel, Benjamin Smelser, Carissa McQuaid and Ella Caswell. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Andrew Willette.
College Voice: Josiah Caswell and Jennalee Brummel. Honorable Mention at the Judges’ discernment: Mary Cate Cichock.
The 52nd Anniversary Chandler Starr Miller Scholarship Competition was sponsored in part by the Illinois Arts Council. For scholarship competition and future concert details, call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit the website at www.mendelssohnpac.org.
Posted April 3, 2013