- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Macular Degeneration Expo April 15
The Center for Sight and Hearing, 8038 MacIntosh Lane, Rockford, will host Macular Degeneration Expo 2013, a hands-on educational day open to the public, from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday, April 15.
The event is sponsored by Genentech, the pharmaceutical company responsible for the two successful new drugs that are available for treatment of wet macular degeneration — Avastin and Lucentis.
Helpful individuals will be at the many booths relating to nutrition, transportation, home health care, rehabilitation services, magnifiers, CCTVs, Talking Books and more.
Dr. Jon Russell, the Center for Sight and Hearing’s low-vision optometrist, will be available to discuss new treatment options and devices. Center staff will be available to demonstrate the use of low-vision aids for enhancing kitchen tasks, computer skills, recreation and other activities of daily living. Free refreshments will be provided.
For more information, call the Center for Sight and Hearing at (815) 332-6800.
From the April 3-9, 2013, issue