- Riverside Community Bank announces merger
- Rockford Public Library announces choice for new director
- 27 businesses penalized for selling alcohol to minors
- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
Cabello pushes bill that would require counties to disclose compensation increases
Online Staff Report
Legislation increasing local government transparency was chosen by state Rep. John Cabello, R-Machesney Park, this week to be his first bill passed in the Illinois House.
House Bill 2482 creates new transparency in county budgets by requiring specific disclosure of any and all increased compensation above current levels. The measure passed the House April 9 on a near-unanimous vote of 110-1.
“State and local governments are spending the taxpayers’ money, and the taxpayers have every right to know what they’re paying for,” said Cabello. “I will continue to advocate for this important transparency measure until it is through the senate and signed by the governor.”
Under current law, counties report financial activity in their annual budgets, but the reports are often vague, lacking specific details of some expenditures. Under Cabello’s legislation, counties would need to include in their budget a detailed statement showing any bonuses or increase in any salary, wage, stipend or other form of compensation in every agency, department and any other entity receiving an appropriation from the county.
“The overwhelming support behind this bill clearly demonstrates Rep. Cabello’s leadership on the issue of increasing government transparency,” said state Rep. Joe Sosnowski, R-Rockford/Belvidere. “Making this information more easily accessible will help our constituents better understand how their money is being spent; I support his efforts.”
Cabello added: “Transparency is the foundation of honest, responsible government. This legislation ensures that local officials know that any raises, bonuses or other compensation increases they approve for those they employ will be listed in the budget for the public to see.”
Posted April 10, 2013