- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
RAMI announces 2013 scholarship recipients
The Rockford Area Music Industry (RAMI) has announced the recipients of its Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship and Verne K. Smith Music Scholarship for 2013.
Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship
Quinn David Furness, son of Steven and Jane Furness, is a senior at Rockford Christian High School. Davis is the recipient of this year’s Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship and plans to attend Northwestern University, studying in the field of musicology.
David has taken piano lessons for approximately 13 years and has participated and won awards in multiple piano competitions in the Rockford area. He serves as the accompanist for the Rockford Operetta Party and the church pianist at Open Arms Worshiping Community in Rockton.
David’s goal is to achieve a terminal degree, potentially a doctor of music, and eventually become a professor at a university and become the head of a major music department.
Verne K. Smith Music Scholarship
Christian Collins, son of Debbie Collins, is 15 years old and has studied the piano for eight years. Christian is a student of the Rockford Music Academy, where he presently studies piano with Betsy Dvorak and chamber music with Anne Olson.
Christian was the winner of the 2010 Composition Competition hosted by Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center. In 2011, Christian was the first-place winner in the Junior Division of Mendelssohn’s Chandler Miller Starr competition and received an honorable mention in 2010. He loves a variety of genres, which include classical, contemporary and jazz music. He is a winning tap dance competitor and loves to perform to jazz and hip hop. His goal is to learn to accompany himself singing, and has aspirations to become a performer and entertainer.
For more about RAMI, visit www.ramiawards.com.