- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
ArtsPlace applications due April 30
Online Staff Report
The Rockford Area Arts Council is taking applications for ArtsPlace 2013, the summer arts apprenticeship program for youth ages 14-18. Applications are due Tuesday, April 30.
ArtsPlace will run June 24-Aug. 12, Mondays-Thursdays, from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. in downtown Rockford. ArtsPlace is a free program, supported by grants and donations. Bus transportation is provided, if needed.
This year, the ArtsPlace dance team will be taught by Rockford Dance Company staff and housed at Riverfront Museum Park. Visual arts and poetry will be held at Mendelssohn Hall and includes artists Bruce McDonald, print-mixed media; Marco Basurto, sculpture; Maya Simmons, painting; and Tricia Sheridan, spoken-word poetry.
Youth work on teams directed by the artist and create original work that is performed and exhibited at the conclusion of the program. Apprentices share in the proceeds from ticket and art sales. Through the process of creating art, participants learn valuable work skills such as productivity, reliability, perseverance, respect and cooperation.
Applications are online at www.artsforeveryone.com or at the Rockford Area Arts Council, 713 E. State St. Call (815) 963-6765.
Posted April 24, 2013