- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
Northern Illinois University offers arts camps this summer
Online Staff Report
DEKALB, Ill. — Visual arts, theatre and instrumental jazz are on the summer camp agenda at Northern Illinois University this summer. These six-day residential camps for junior and senior high school students are scheduled in July. Campers work with faculty, alumni, and students and gain a greater appreciation for the life of an artist.
Theatre Arts Camp Junior is scheduled for July 7-12. Thespians in grades 6-8 spend the week in rehearsals, classes, individual coaching sessions, and theatre games. Campers have many workshop choices, including auditioning, acting, musical theatre, stage combat, make-up and lighting and set design. This camp and Theatre Arts Camp Senior are under the direction of Melanie Parks, who teaches for the NIU School of Theatre and Dance.
Three camps are scheduled for July 14-19. NIU Jazz Camp is for instrumentalists in grades 8-12 who want to take their jazz playing to the next level. Campers rehearse and perform in a big band, combo, or the Latin Jazz Combo. Master classes, concerts, jazz theory, improvisation, jam sessions, sectionals, and optional private lessons are part of the daily curriculum. The camp is under the direction of Ron Carter, director of jazz studies at NIU.
Visual Arts Camp, for artists in grades 8-12, is an exciting and diverse creative art experience. Campers enjoy two daily in-depth studio sessions in their choice of a wide variety of two-dimensional and three-dimensional classes. The day also includes talks by professional artists and ope studio time. This camp is directed by Lynn Stockton, NIU alumna and award-winning art teacher at Jefferson High School in Rockford.
Thespians in grades 9-12 can enjoy Theatre Arts Camp Senior. Spend the week in rehearsals, classes, individual coaching sessions, and theatre games. Campers have many workshop choices, including auditioning, acting, musical theatre, stage combat, make-up, and lighting and set design.
Campers sleep and eat in newly-refurbished residential halls on campus and enjoy a variety of evening recreational activities that include bowling, basketball, and movies.
Northern Illinois University camp scholarships are available; applications are due by May 1.
These popular camps fill quickly, so early registration is advised. For more information, call (815) 753-1450. More information about the camps, scholarships, and forms are all available on the web at www.artscamps.niu.edu.
Posted April 24, 2013