- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Free Healthy Kids Day activities at area YMCAs April 27
Online Staff Report
Saturday, April 27, the YMCA of Rock River Valley is celebrating YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day with a free community event that encourages kids in the Rock River Valley to get moving and learning, and families living healthier.
Healthy Kids Day, the Y’s national initiative to improve families’ health and well-being, takes place at 1,900 Ys and kick-starts healthier behaviors now and throughout the summer, a critical out-of-school time for children’s health.
Many U.S. children do not get the daily recommended hours of physical activity and reading, and daily amounts of healthy foods. According to the latest findings of the YMCA’s Family Health Snapshot — a survey of parents that gauges their children’s activity levels during the school year — only 19 percent of children get 60 minutes of physical activity, only 17 percent read books for fun, and only 12 percent eat at least eight fruits and vegetables daily.
Jason Walters, vice president of operations, Youth Achievement YMCA, said: “At the YMCA of Rock River Valley, we know parents struggle to keep their kids physically and intellectually active every day. We want to help ensure fewer kids are at risk of childhood obesity and more kids excel in school. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day will get kids moving and learning while also helping families get a jump on creating a healthier summer, and ultimately a healthier future.”
Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically and gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. April 27, YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day will help parents begin thinking early about what their kids need to grow and achieve all summer long.
The YMCA of Rock River Valley’s Healthy Kids Day will take place at three branch locations: I.D. Pennock Family YMCA from 1 to 4 p.m.; Northeast Family YMCA from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; and Camp Winnebago YMCA from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. All locations will feature fun, active play and educational activities.
Posted April 25, 2013