- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Donate blood and get a beef stick May 6-11 in Freeport
Online Staff Report
FREEPORT, Ill. — In honor of National Beef Month, the Stephenson County Beef Association will offer product samples to donors at Rock River Valley Blood Center’s (RRVBC) Freeport Donor Center the week of May 6-11.
The center is open 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Tuesday; 7 a.m.-2 p.m., Thursday-Friday; and 7-11 a.m., Saturday. The donor center is at 461 E. South St., Freeport, across from Cimino’s.
Donors will receive a prepackaged beef stick after donating. Beef is considered a great source of iron and protein, and may be recommended to increase red blood cell and iron levels in some people.
Jennifer Bowman, public relations and and marketing manager for the RRVBC, said: “The most common reason people can’t donate blood is because of a low hemoglobin, or volume of red blood cells. We provide donors with ways in which they might be able to increase these numbers. The Stephenson County Beef Association is celebrating Beef Month and thanking our donors at the same time.”
Donating blood is safe and simple. You are most likely able to donate if you are at least 17 years old (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health. People taking medications are not necessarily disqualified.
The RRVBC serves as a centralized, community blood center and is the only provider of blood products and services to Beloit Health System, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, FHN, Mercy Harvard Hospital, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rochelle Community Hospital, Rockford Health System, SwedishAmerican Health System and SwedishAmerican Medical Center — Belvidere.
Call toll-free at 877-RRVBC-99 or visit rrvbc.org.
Posted May 1, 2013