- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
Kids Spot gymnasts earn state titles
Online Staff Report
Kids Spot gymnasts headed to the Fusion Sports Center for their state competition April 20-21. Turning heads was 9-year-old Tierny Myers. Myers achieved state champion status on three of the four apparatuses. On beam, she scored a 9.45 (1); vault, a 9.35 (1); bars, a 9.5 (1); and floor, a 9.5 (2).
These scores combined (37.80) helped her achieve state champion overall in the 9-year-old age division.
Mariah Sauter captured the state champion title on the balance beam with a 9.475 and third on floor with a 9.2, placing her fifth overall.
Keira Shannon also won the state champion title on balance beam with a 9.15, and second on floor with a 9.5. Those scores led her to a second overall finish.
Marlee Peterson got the silver medal on the vault with an 8.9 in the 6-year-old age division. Lexi Sofolo won state champion on the uneven bars with a score of 9.4, helping her finish fourth overall.
In level 3, Madison Davenport,8, captured state champion titles on vault (9.45) and floor (9.3). April Doubleday, 7, placed second on bars with a 9.3 and third overall with a 36.05 all-around.
Abbey Green, 18, of Machesney Park, Ill., recently qualified for Level 8 regionals at the University of Bowling Green in Ohio. She also competed over the weekend, placing 11th on balance beam (9.075) and 10th on floor (9.2), which helped her achieve 12th place all-around out of 58 girls.
Kids Spot gymnastics teams are coached by Ginelle Galub, Andrea Boone and Venise Broda. Call (815) 623-5437.
Posted May 1, 2013