- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Kids Spot gymnasts earn state titles
Online Staff Report
Kids Spot gymnasts headed to the Fusion Sports Center for their state competition April 20-21. Turning heads was 9-year-old Tierny Myers. Myers achieved state champion status on three of the four apparatuses. On beam, she scored a 9.45 (1); vault, a 9.35 (1); bars, a 9.5 (1); and floor, a 9.5 (2).
These scores combined (37.80) helped her achieve state champion overall in the 9-year-old age division.
Mariah Sauter captured the state champion title on the balance beam with a 9.475 and third on floor with a 9.2, placing her fifth overall.
Keira Shannon also won the state champion title on balance beam with a 9.15, and second on floor with a 9.5. Those scores led her to a second overall finish.
Marlee Peterson got the silver medal on the vault with an 8.9 in the 6-year-old age division. Lexi Sofolo won state champion on the uneven bars with a score of 9.4, helping her finish fourth overall.
In level 3, Madison Davenport,8, captured state champion titles on vault (9.45) and floor (9.3). April Doubleday, 7, placed second on bars with a 9.3 and third overall with a 36.05 all-around.
Abbey Green, 18, of Machesney Park, Ill., recently qualified for Level 8 regionals at the University of Bowling Green in Ohio. She also competed over the weekend, placing 11th on balance beam (9.075) and 10th on floor (9.2), which helped her achieve 12th place all-around out of 58 girls.
Kids Spot gymnastics teams are coached by Ginelle Galub, Andrea Boone and Venise Broda. Call (815) 623-5437.
Posted May 1, 2013