- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Kids Spot gymnasts earn state titles
Online Staff Report
Kids Spot gymnasts headed to the Fusion Sports Center for their state competition April 20-21. Turning heads was 9-year-old Tierny Myers. Myers achieved state champion status on three of the four apparatuses. On beam, she scored a 9.45 (1); vault, a 9.35 (1); bars, a 9.5 (1); and floor, a 9.5 (2).
These scores combined (37.80) helped her achieve state champion overall in the 9-year-old age division.
Mariah Sauter captured the state champion title on the balance beam with a 9.475 and third on floor with a 9.2, placing her fifth overall.
Keira Shannon also won the state champion title on balance beam with a 9.15, and second on floor with a 9.5. Those scores led her to a second overall finish.
Marlee Peterson got the silver medal on the vault with an 8.9 in the 6-year-old age division. Lexi Sofolo won state champion on the uneven bars with a score of 9.4, helping her finish fourth overall.
In level 3, Madison Davenport,8, captured state champion titles on vault (9.45) and floor (9.3). April Doubleday, 7, placed second on bars with a 9.3 and third overall with a 36.05 all-around.
Abbey Green, 18, of Machesney Park, Ill., recently qualified for Level 8 regionals at the University of Bowling Green in Ohio. She also competed over the weekend, placing 11th on balance beam (9.075) and 10th on floor (9.2), which helped her achieve 12th place all-around out of 58 girls.
Kids Spot gymnastics teams are coached by Ginelle Galub, Andrea Boone and Venise Broda. Call (815) 623-5437.
Posted May 1, 2013