- Tech-Friendly: I am not wowed by iOS 8
- Riverside Community Bank announces merger
- Rockford Public Library announces choice for new director
- 27 businesses penalized for selling alcohol to minors
- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
State of the Art gallery to open May 3
• Local artist Roni Golan begins new venture at 218 E. State St.
Online Staff Report
Friday, May 3, a new art gallery — State of the Art — will open at 218 E. State St., Rockford. The opening show will include painting, sculpture and glass from Salem Barker, John Gardner, Roni Golan, John Lombrardo, Joel Ottman and Paul Pinzarrone. The Grand Opening will start at 5 p.m, with Anne O’Keefe, president of the Rockford Area Arts Council, and Steve Larsen, music director of Rockford Symphony Orchestra.
Owned by local artist Roni Golan, the gallery will focus on promoting local artists. Golan’s vision for the space is that it will provide room for emerging artists from the area to present their works in a gallery setting, while providing the community a place to gather and enjoy the arts.
“I’m opening the gallery because I believe there is a need for more professional spaces to exhibit art, like in Chicago,” Golan said.
The gallery will be open Tuesdays-Saturdays from noon until 6 p.m., and by appointment. Additionally, it will remain open for “First Friday” events each month until 8 p.m. Golan envisions hosting between six to eight shows each year.
The opening will feature performances by the Dane Penn & All the Reds (from 5:30 to 7 p.m.) and the Eddie B. Jazz Band (from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.).
Golan eventually envisions the gallery to be a place to introduce and bring together different art disciplines, including music, visual arts and performances. He also is looking forward to providing space for classes to educate and enrich the community’s cultural life.
State of the Art is the latest venture for Golan, who previously operated the Underground Gallery and the Golan-Liberman Contemporary Arts Gallery on East State. Golan graduated from the Ramat-HaSharan Art College in 1991. Arriving in Rockford in 1996, his pieces feature a variety of mediums and styles.
Visit www.artbyronitgolan.com or see State of the Art on Facebook.
Posted May 1, 2013