- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
State of the Art gallery to open May 3
• Local artist Roni Golan begins new venture at 218 E. State St.
Online Staff Report
Friday, May 3, a new art gallery — State of the Art — will open at 218 E. State St., Rockford. The opening show will include painting, sculpture and glass from Salem Barker, John Gardner, Roni Golan, John Lombrardo, Joel Ottman and Paul Pinzarrone. The Grand Opening will start at 5 p.m, with Anne O’Keefe, president of the Rockford Area Arts Council, and Steve Larsen, music director of Rockford Symphony Orchestra.
Owned by local artist Roni Golan, the gallery will focus on promoting local artists. Golan’s vision for the space is that it will provide room for emerging artists from the area to present their works in a gallery setting, while providing the community a place to gather and enjoy the arts.
“I’m opening the gallery because I believe there is a need for more professional spaces to exhibit art, like in Chicago,” Golan said.
The gallery will be open Tuesdays-Saturdays from noon until 6 p.m., and by appointment. Additionally, it will remain open for “First Friday” events each month until 8 p.m. Golan envisions hosting between six to eight shows each year.
The opening will feature performances by the Dane Penn & All the Reds (from 5:30 to 7 p.m.) and the Eddie B. Jazz Band (from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.).
Golan eventually envisions the gallery to be a place to introduce and bring together different art disciplines, including music, visual arts and performances. He also is looking forward to providing space for classes to educate and enrich the community’s cultural life.
State of the Art is the latest venture for Golan, who previously operated the Underground Gallery and the Golan-Liberman Contemporary Arts Gallery on East State. Golan graduated from the Ramat-HaSharan Art College in 1991. Arriving in Rockford in 1996, his pieces feature a variety of mediums and styles.
Visit www.artbyronitgolan.com or see State of the Art on Facebook.
Posted May 1, 2013