- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
Aviatiors baseball takes flight May 18
By Doug Halberstadt
In case you haven’t heard, the Rockford RiverHawks baseball team won’t be playing baseball in Rockford this season. As a matter of fact, they won’t be playing baseball anywhere. They are no longer in existence.
The new professional baseball club in town is known as the Rockford Aviators. They’ll play at the familiar venue on 4503 Interstate Blvd. off East Riverside. The ballpark will no longer be called Road Ranger Stadium, though. Its’ new name is Aviators Stadium.
The revamped team opens their 2013 season at home with a three-game series against the Frontier Grays beginning Friday night, May 17. The two teams will square off against one other at 7:05 p.m., Friday and Saturday (May 18-19), and then again on Sunday evening (May 20) at 5:05 p.m.
Their six-game opening home stand continues against the Washington Wild Things with a three-game mid-week series beginning Tuesday, May 21, at 7:05 p.m. That’s followed up with a special 10 a.m. start time Wednesday, May 22. Students from the area will be in attendance for the early start time. Business people are also encouraged to come out to the ballpark that morning. The series will conclude Thursday, May 23, with another 7:05 p.m. start time.
Then, the Aviators fly out of town for a three-game weekend set against the Traverse City Beach Bums, May 24-26.
A large fireworks show is on the schedule following the opening-night game, and the first 1,000 fans into the park on Saturday, May 18, can pick up a free 2013 magnetic season schedule.
For more information about Rockford’s newest team, including ticket prices and other promotional nights, visit www.rockfordaviators.com.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.