- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: Catching up with John ‘Brizz’ Brizzolara of 96.7 The Eagle
Check out pre-annexation agreement with investment group
Residents of the Village of Winnebago, take notice. Village officials are considering an agreement with an investment group from the Chicago area, which includes the village annexing 13.5 acres in the 7700 block of West State Street. This is the old Rockford Greenhouse about a mile west of Meridian. The owner/developer of the property wants to use approximately 3 acres for commercial use and the remaining 9.5 acres for residential use. The most recent plan for the residential portion is for 17 four-family townhouses to be erected. Other plans listed single-family, two-family and six-family structures. Water and sewer is not available, so a private well or wells and septic systems will be needed.
Approximately six years ago, this same owner/developer attempted to develop this parcel. The City of Rockford became involved and placed restrictions that caused the project to never materialize. Neighbors of the proposed development are not in favor of it and plan on attending all public hearings that are required to be held prior to signing any agreement.
Copies of the pre-annexation agreement can be obtained from the Winnebago Village Hall through the Freedom of Information Act. This proposal in its original form does not seem to benefit anyone other than maybe the developer, and that’s only if he can find buyers.
From the May 8-14, 2013, issue