- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Check out pre-annexation agreement with investment group
Residents of the Village of Winnebago, take notice. Village officials are considering an agreement with an investment group from the Chicago area, which includes the village annexing 13.5 acres in the 7700 block of West State Street. This is the old Rockford Greenhouse about a mile west of Meridian. The owner/developer of the property wants to use approximately 3 acres for commercial use and the remaining 9.5 acres for residential use. The most recent plan for the residential portion is for 17 four-family townhouses to be erected. Other plans listed single-family, two-family and six-family structures. Water and sewer is not available, so a private well or wells and septic systems will be needed.
Approximately six years ago, this same owner/developer attempted to develop this parcel. The City of Rockford became involved and placed restrictions that caused the project to never materialize. Neighbors of the proposed development are not in favor of it and plan on attending all public hearings that are required to be held prior to signing any agreement.
Copies of the pre-annexation agreement can be obtained from the Winnebago Village Hall through the Freedom of Information Act. This proposal in its original form does not seem to benefit anyone other than maybe the developer, and that’s only if he can find buyers.
From the May 8-14, 2013, issue