- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Public Gardens Day, Spring Plant Sale on tap at Klehm May 10-12
• Arboretum also in need of Klehm Express drivers
Online Staff Report
Rockford’s Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden, 2715 S. Main St., will celebrate National Public Gardens Day Friday, May 10, with free admission from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
National Public Gardens Day takes place annually on Mother’s Day weekend. Visit Klehm any time that weekend to discover and explore the garden while learning about its commitment to education, research and environmental stewardship.
The arboretum will also offer its Spring Plant Sale from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 11, and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Sunday, May 12. Admission is free both days.
Plan to spend time this Mother’s Day weekend shopping for this year’s plants. The Plant Sale expands to include the arboretum’s outdoors location, too. Choose from thousands of colorful plants, including unique varieties from local nurseries. Afterward, stroll Klehm’s grounds and see what’s blooming. The garden will be open during normal hours.
Klehm is in need of people to drive the Klehm Express to provide tours to visitors. The tours are guided by a prerecorded presentation as the Express drives through the the paved areas. Drivers should be comfortable driving a 12-person shuttle.
Call (815) 965-8146 or visit klehm.org.
Posted May 8, 2013