- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Volunteer to help clean up Rock Cut State Park May 11
LOVES PARK, Ill. — Blackhawk Sierra Club will help the budget-strapped Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) by hosting a one-day clean-up at Rock Cut State Park, 7318 Harlem Road, Loves Park, Ill. As a result of state budget cuts, the IDNR can use some help with something as simple as picking up trash around the park.
Blackhawk Sierra Club members and friends will join public volunteers to clean up the state park from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., Saturday, May 11.
Sue Breidigam, president of Blackhawk Sierra Club, said, “Please join us as we learn more about the ‘crown jewel’ of our state parks, honor the staff, and help clean the most used areas of the park.
“We have long been supporters of IDNR, and we need to help them in these tough times,” she added. “This is an opportunity for members of the community to join our efforts to support the staff at Rock Cut State Park and help maintain the natural areas of the park.”
Volunteers should bring their own gloves and plastic shopping bags to put trash in and meet at 9:30 a.m. in the Concessions parking lot of Rock Cut State Park to check in. Instructions about where to go from there will be provided. The check-in location will be set up throughout the day for those who can’t start at 9:30 a.m. Anyone interested should contact Breidigam at (815) 229-3645.