- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
10th Red Shoe Run a success
The 10th Annual Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness was a tremendous success. We’d like to extend a heartfelt thank-you to the community for supporting the annual event through participation, fund-raising, sponsorship and volunteerism. The day allows us to recognize the lifesaving, life-restoring benefits of blood, organ, tissue, eye and marrow donation, and gratefully acknowledge the humanitarianism displayed by donors of these gifts. Monies raised help add potential heroes to the Rock River Valley Blood Center’s Marrow Program and overall donor awareness. More than $40,000 was raised for tissue typing.
Six hundred fifty runners and almost 300 walkers faced the brisk morning. Top female runner was Olivia Aranda of Rockford; top male runner was Jeremy Stevens of Rockford.
Special thanks to our Presenting Sponsor, Rockford Health Systems, and additional sponsors, including: Sam’s Club, McDonald’s, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rockford Nephrology, AndersonBrecon, Biological Resource Center of IL, DaVita, Don Carter Lanes, KishHealth System and IBEW-NECA.
A gesture of gratitude goes to the founding members of this event: Janice Eschen, Dr. Charles and Bobbi Smith and Julie Tilbury, whose foresight and determination have helped this event to become what it is.
Save the date: Saturday, April 12, 2014.
The Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness Committee
From the May 15-21, 2013, issue