- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
10th Red Shoe Run a success
The 10th Annual Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness was a tremendous success. We’d like to extend a heartfelt thank-you to the community for supporting the annual event through participation, fund-raising, sponsorship and volunteerism. The day allows us to recognize the lifesaving, life-restoring benefits of blood, organ, tissue, eye and marrow donation, and gratefully acknowledge the humanitarianism displayed by donors of these gifts. Monies raised help add potential heroes to the Rock River Valley Blood Center’s Marrow Program and overall donor awareness. More than $40,000 was raised for tissue typing.
Six hundred fifty runners and almost 300 walkers faced the brisk morning. Top female runner was Olivia Aranda of Rockford; top male runner was Jeremy Stevens of Rockford.
Special thanks to our Presenting Sponsor, Rockford Health Systems, and additional sponsors, including: Sam’s Club, McDonald’s, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rockford Nephrology, AndersonBrecon, Biological Resource Center of IL, DaVita, Don Carter Lanes, KishHealth System and IBEW-NECA.
A gesture of gratitude goes to the founding members of this event: Janice Eschen, Dr. Charles and Bobbi Smith and Julie Tilbury, whose foresight and determination have helped this event to become what it is.
Save the date: Saturday, April 12, 2014.
The Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness Committee
From the May 15-21, 2013, issue