- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
10th Red Shoe Run a success
The 10th Annual Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness was a tremendous success. We’d like to extend a heartfelt thank-you to the community for supporting the annual event through participation, fund-raising, sponsorship and volunteerism. The day allows us to recognize the lifesaving, life-restoring benefits of blood, organ, tissue, eye and marrow donation, and gratefully acknowledge the humanitarianism displayed by donors of these gifts. Monies raised help add potential heroes to the Rock River Valley Blood Center’s Marrow Program and overall donor awareness. More than $40,000 was raised for tissue typing.
Six hundred fifty runners and almost 300 walkers faced the brisk morning. Top female runner was Olivia Aranda of Rockford; top male runner was Jeremy Stevens of Rockford.
Special thanks to our Presenting Sponsor, Rockford Health Systems, and additional sponsors, including: Sam’s Club, McDonald’s, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rockford Nephrology, AndersonBrecon, Biological Resource Center of IL, DaVita, Don Carter Lanes, KishHealth System and IBEW-NECA.
A gesture of gratitude goes to the founding members of this event: Janice Eschen, Dr. Charles and Bobbi Smith and Julie Tilbury, whose foresight and determination have helped this event to become what it is.
Save the date: Saturday, April 12, 2014.
The Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness Committee
From the May 15-21, 2013, issue