- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
10th Red Shoe Run a success
The 10th Annual Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness was a tremendous success. We’d like to extend a heartfelt thank-you to the community for supporting the annual event through participation, fund-raising, sponsorship and volunteerism. The day allows us to recognize the lifesaving, life-restoring benefits of blood, organ, tissue, eye and marrow donation, and gratefully acknowledge the humanitarianism displayed by donors of these gifts. Monies raised help add potential heroes to the Rock River Valley Blood Center’s Marrow Program and overall donor awareness. More than $40,000 was raised for tissue typing.
Six hundred fifty runners and almost 300 walkers faced the brisk morning. Top female runner was Olivia Aranda of Rockford; top male runner was Jeremy Stevens of Rockford.
Special thanks to our Presenting Sponsor, Rockford Health Systems, and additional sponsors, including: Sam’s Club, McDonald’s, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rockford Nephrology, AndersonBrecon, Biological Resource Center of IL, DaVita, Don Carter Lanes, KishHealth System and IBEW-NECA.
A gesture of gratitude goes to the founding members of this event: Janice Eschen, Dr. Charles and Bobbi Smith and Julie Tilbury, whose foresight and determination have helped this event to become what it is.
Save the date: Saturday, April 12, 2014.
The Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness Committee
From the May 15-21, 2013, issue