- EarthTalk: Avoiding harmful food additives
- Nighttime/alcohol enforcement patrols set for Dec. 26-28
- ComEd readies for potential winter weather
- Lee Hamilton: Time to focus on growing the economy
- Anti-corruption reform advisory question to appear on ballot
- Evidence found in Dec. 20 quadruple murder, but no arrests
- Yes, Virginia, Portillo’s is coming to Rockford
- Meet John Doe: Wake up and share that Christmas spirit, you’re the hope of the world
- Tech-Friendly: Recycle your old electronics this holiday season
- Garbage collection adjusted for Christmas, New Year’s
Bowl For Vets May 18 at Park Lanes in Loves Park
By Doug Halberstadt
I was literally in the middle of a column about postseason hockey when I remembered an event taking place this weekend that I wanted everyone who reads my columns to know about. The postseason hockey column will have to wait another week. This is way more important, and it’s a local story that deserves all the publicity it can get.
This Saturday night (May 18), Park Lanes in Loves Park is hosting a fund-raising event to help the Roscoe VFW Post 2955 raise money for their Veteran Relief Fund. Bowl for Vets 2013 begins at 7 p.m. For $20 per person, participants get two games of bowling, rental shoes, door prizes, an opportunity to bid on some fabulous silent auction items and an all-you-can-eat pasta bar.
The night’s not over when you’re done bowling and eating, either. The fun continues with live music supplied by the band Southern Charm. The band plays from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. There’s no additional charge to see the Southern Charm show.
Miller High Life, Jersey Mike’s Subs, WXRX and NTA 100.5 are helping to ensure it’ll be a fun night for all who attend.
I’d like to challenge all of my bowling buddies from the Tuesday Night Men’s Fellowship League at Cherry Bowl to come out and support this worthy cause. I’d also like to encourage anyone reading this to make a point of coming out this Saturday night and lending your support to our veterans.
To register for Bowl For Vets 2013, call Park Lanes at (815) 877-6051.
This is one event where I hope it’s so successful that by the time you read this, it will already be filled up, and they’ll have to open up another session. Wouldn’t that be great for all of our local veterans?
From the May 15-21, 2013, issue